This is a classic Heath Family recipe. When we give these to people, it is not uncommon for them to say they are the best cookies they've ever had.
Optional - if you have them on hand
This is roughly a morning breakfast size for 1 person. Place ingredients in a blender and blend them up till smooth!
In general I try to focus on the greens, and less on making a sweet fruit heavy smoothie.
1.Sweat the Garlic and Shallots on low heat while you chop and add the tomatoes, you can bring up to a medium heat once the tomatoes are in the pan. make sure nto to cook the sauce too much, it should be light and fresh.
2.Chop and add parsley. Salt Pepper to taste. Contintue to simmer
3.Thaw and rinse prawns. Add to a hot cast iron pan. As the cook, add juices from the sauce in with the prawns, avoid the chunks of tomato etc. Flip the prawns. Add juices, until prawns are slightly browned on outside and cooked through.
5.Make nests with pasta, top with sauce and then grilled prawns.
Chocolate Shortbread Crust
Traditional Shortbread Crust
Lemon Cream Curd
Note: I like to display all of the fixings on the plate and allow each person to construct their own burger.
**This recipe is for a large batch of dolmas.
~4 cups long grain brown rice
~4 cups water
fresh tomatoes or 1 small can minced tomatoes
2 bell peppers
2 stalks celery
5-6 large leafs chard
5-6 large leafs kale
1/2cup - 1cup parsley
1.5 cans tomato paste
Grape leaf brine
**veggie portions are approximate, I always king of wing it and use the veggies I have on hand.
2 cans chickpeas
4 cloves garlic
4 generous tablespoons Tahini
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon Salt
4 tablespoons olive oil
Juice of 2 lemons
Paprika, Parsley & Finishing Olive Oil for garnish
Sourdough Pie Crust
Make Half Recipe for 1 Galette - better flavor if the sourdough starter has been neglected for a few days ;)
2 sticks butter
2 cups flour
1 Tbsp Sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1+ cup sourdough starter
1 egg - to shine the crust - optional
Powdered sugar - to sprinkle on top - optional
1. Save the sourdough starter you are going to throw out when you feed your starter
2. Chill the butter sticks in the freezer
3. Add dry ingredients together, cut in the butter, or break it up by hand until the butter is about pea sized bits - work quickly so that the butter stays cold.
4. Add sourdough starter all at once and mix together by hand. If there is not enough moisture to combine all dry ingredients add a little more starter or a couple tablespoons of chilled water.
5. Wrap in saran wrap and chill in the fridge
6. Remove from fridge, cut in half, roll into a ball and roll out into crust
7. Butter pie pan, add bottom crust - filling - top crust
6~ Gravenstein apples
1 cup huckleberries, blueberries if you don't have huckleberries
1/2- 3/4 cup sugar 9 (don't skimp on the sugar, it's a pie for goodness sake)
1 tbsp Flour
zest and juice from 1 lemon
1/2 tsp Vanilla extract
1/4 tsp powdered ginger
1. Preheat oven to 375
2. peel core and cut apples into 1/4 inch slices
3. Rinse huckleberries, and separate out andy green ones or leafs and stems that might have gotten into the bowl while picking.
4. In a bowl, combine with the sugar with the vanilla extract, ginger, lemon juice and zest. Add the apples, blueberries and 2 tbsps. flour, mixing.
5. Roll out pie dough, and transfer to a cookie sheet lined with wax paper. Arrange the mix in the middle of the tart dough. Fold the overlapping pastry edge over the filling, but leaving the center open.
6. Bake for 40-45 minutes until the crust is golden and the apples are tender. If the crust or the apples look like they’re overcooking (turning dark), cover the galette with aluminum foil and continue to cook. Remove from oven, let cool and serve warm. If juices ran out of the galette while baking, spoon them back into the center of the galette from the pan, do it as soon as it is out of the oven, it will gel and solidify as it cools.
7. Serve with Haagen Dazs Vanilla Ice cream