Sourdough Pie Crust
Make Half Recipe for 1 Galette - better flavor if the sourdough starter has been neglected for a few days ;)
2 sticks butter
2 cups flour
1 Tbsp Sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1+ cup sourdough starter
1 egg - to shine the crust - optional
Powdered sugar - to sprinkle on top - optional
1. Save the sourdough starter you are going to throw out when you feed your starter
2. Chill the butter sticks in the freezer
3. Add dry ingredients together, cut in the butter, or break it up by hand until the butter is about pea sized bits - work quickly so that the butter stays cold.
4. Add sourdough starter all at once and mix together by hand. If there is not enough moisture to combine all dry ingredients add a little more starter or a couple tablespoons of chilled water.
5. Wrap in saran wrap and chill in the fridge
6. Remove from fridge, cut in half, roll into a ball and roll out into crust
7. Butter pie pan, add bottom crust - filling - top crust
6~ Gravenstein apples
1 cup huckleberries, blueberries if you don't have huckleberries
1/2- 3/4 cup sugar 9 (don't skimp on the sugar, it's a pie for goodness sake)
1 tbsp Flour
zest and juice from 1 lemon
1/2 tsp Vanilla extract
1/4 tsp powdered ginger
1. Preheat oven to 375
2. peel core and cut apples into 1/4 inch slices
3. Rinse huckleberries, and separate out andy green ones or leafs and stems that might have gotten into the bowl while picking.
4. In a bowl, combine with the sugar with the vanilla extract, ginger, lemon juice and zest. Add the apples, blueberries and 2 tbsps. flour, mixing.
5. Roll out pie dough, and transfer to a cookie sheet lined with wax paper. Arrange the mix in the middle of the tart dough. Fold the overlapping pastry edge over the filling, but leaving the center open.
6. Bake for 40-45 minutes until the crust is golden and the apples are tender. If the crust or the apples look like they’re overcooking (turning dark), cover the galette with aluminum foil and continue to cook. Remove from oven, let cool and serve warm. If juices ran out of the galette while baking, spoon them back into the center of the galette from the pan, do it as soon as it is out of the oven, it will gel and solidify as it cools.
7. Serve with Haagen Dazs Vanilla Ice cream